July 31 - September 12, 2015
The Freshman Summer Start Program (FSSP) is an exciting, innovative opportunity designed for admitted UCSB freshmen to get a head start on coursework and make a successful academic and social transition to UCSB. In the second summer session, six weeks prior to the start of the Fall term, students:
- Enroll in 7-13 units and receive UCSB credit.
- Select from 90 lower division courses, including General Education, pre-major and major courses, Freshman Seminars, special FSSP undergraduate research courses, honors sections, and enrichment classes.
- Enjoy smaller class sizes during the less hectic Summer term.
- Complete a 2014-2015 FASFA to become eligible for Financial Aid during FSSP. Financial Aid used during FSSP does not impact your 2015-2016 award.
- Interact in small groups with faculty members in the classroom and residence hall though our Faculty Mentorship program, weekly faculty-student lunches, faculty-led field trips in the Santa Barbara and Los Angeles area, and other academic activities.
- Make new friends while living in the same residence hall throughout FSSP and the coming academic year.
- Get to know the campus and its support services, including the library, tutoring center, job and internship placement, career counseling, academic advising, Educational Opportunity Program (EOP), Wellness Program, Student Health, Student Government, and the Recreation Center.
- Enjoy the summer in beautiful Santa Barbara. During FSSP, we organize beach BBQs, hikes in the Santa Barbara mountains, sailing trips, concerts, sporting activities, and other residence hall activities.
Applications are accepted until the program is full.