What are the technical and course-specific requirements?
Summer 2014 Courses
|CHEM W 142A: Biochemistry Lecture (3) Session B
|DANCE W 36: History of Dance (4) Session B (Course Description)
|EARTH W 20: Geological Catastrophies (4) Session A
|GEOG W 8: Living with Global Warming (4) Session A (Course Description) (TENTATIVE-Please check back for updates on this course)
|MCDB W 108A: General Biochemistry (4) Session B (Course Description)
|PSTAT W 120A: Probability and Statistics I (4) Session B
|WRIT W 109ST: Writing for Science and Technology (4) Session A and B (Course Description)
Is an online course right for me?
People who are successful online learners are:
- self-motivated and self-disciplined
- comfortable communicating through written online correspondence and discussions
- unafraid to seek assistance and ask questions when needed
- skilled at time management
- able to stay on a schedule and meet deadlines
Generally, you will need:
What about online exams?
- a personal computer that is:
- a Windows XP or later PC with the most current version of the free Firefox Browser, the most current version of the free Adobe Flash Player, a recent version of an office suite (e.g. Microsoft Office, OpenOffice, Star Office).
- an OS X 10.5 or later MAC with the most current version of the free Firefox Browser, the most current version of the free Adobe Flash Player, a recent version of an office suite (e.g. iWork, Microsoft Office, NeoOffice).
- a broadband Internet connection
Some online courses may require a proctored final exam. If you are able to come to campus, you will take this proctored exam in a room arranged by your instructor.
If you are not able to come to campus, the UCSB Office of Summer Sessions will help you locate a proctoring center where you can take any proctored exam required in your course. You will be responsible for the cost of using a proctoring center (the range is typically $20-30). You must make arrangements for a remote testing location several weeks prior to your exam date by contacting Cindy Bumgarner at email@example.com
When can I start my course?
The online course itself will be available in GauchoSpace one week prior to the start of the session. We recommend you log in during this week to orient yourself to the course layout.
What about technical support?
You will have technical support from two sources: